Inspired by my friend Mia's blog, I am going to start my own in the hope that if some interesting experiences come my way I will have the presence of mind to write them here. Of course Mia's life is much more interesting than mine because she just moved to Japan and has much to report.
I will start with the trip we took to Orlando last week. Gerard (husband) had to give a keynote address at OOPSLA (sounds like LA had an accident, doesn't it?) which is a conference for Object Oriented programmers. Tessa (youngest daughter) and I went with him. We stayed at the Disney Contemporary Resort and visited the four Disney theme parts in four days. Gerard had to skip Wednesday's entertainments in order to give his talk at the conference. My favorite was Animal Kingdom, Gerard liked Epcot best, and Tessa liked whichever one she visited most recently. The highlight for Tessa was the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror ride at Disney Hollywood Studios, and the low point was when Orlando airport security confiscated her Epcot mini-snowglobe on the basis that the one ounce of fluid in the globe might potentially be flammable. The security guy was untouched by the sight of an eight-year-old girl standing silently with tears cascading down her cheeks. Mom was not untouched and is trying to get a replacement snowglobe.
I last visited Orlando in 1996 so that Natalie (eldest daughter), who was then Minnie's most devoted fan, could meet the object of her admiration in person. I had three little kids in tow and so we visited Magic Kingdom one day and spent the rest of the time around the hotel. So, I didn't see as much of the theme parks as I did on this trip. The biggest difference I see is the number of mobility scooters in use.
The picture is of Tessa in Tomorrowland at Magic Kingdom with our hotel in the far background.
No comments:
Post a Comment